With the breakdown of the private financial industry, and with the decision by corporations to stop meeting their tax responsibilities, and with the dramatic surge in tax haven abuse, less tax revenue is available to state and local governments. Deprived of funding, governments are forced to consider privatization schemes to balance their budgets. But any such scheme comes with adversity and pain.
- Public treasures sold off for short-term budget needs
- Infrastructure decaying in the hands of profit-seekers
- Water no longer available for the common good
- Our children put at risk with unproven educational methods
- Colleges gradually being replaced with prisons